Wednesday, March 19, 2008

connecting other texts

I like the Josh brought up Jack London. I saw the movie "Gone Baby Gone" last week, and after reading "So Much Water So Close To Home," I started brainstorming how to pair other works with each story in this collection.

I don't know if you've seen the movie, so I don't want to ruin the ending. The essence of the conclusion, though, revolves around a moral/ethical decision so important to a couple that when they realize they don't see the issue in the same way, they realize they must separate. The couple in SMWSCTH is battling the same issue. It'd be interesting to see where a discussion in the classroom would go if the story was assigned the night before and then the end of this movie was shown at the beginning of class.

Which would, of course, most likely lead to a grand discussion dealing with themes of gender and relationships--two things that repeatedly came up when we discussed the work of Carver as a group.

So I'm curious if anyone has any ideas for texts to pair with other stories that they've read in the collection...? And Alicia--I'm not sure what story/ies and/or themes we're going to work with for our paired teaching lesson, but I'm thinking anything including gender and/or relationships will work.

Also, I submit this picture to counter Josh's for the cutest pet on the blog award:

2 comments:

alicia said...

I think gender and relationships would work out just fine. Especially relationships, in light of how so many of the stories are dealing with isolation and how interactions with others can affect people.

I want to see Gone Baby Gone even more now! I don't know about what other resources to bring in, other than perhaps the art and sculptures mentioned in the NCTE book. (Okay, time to google that statue by Rodin...)

Shannon said...

I think that Gone Baby Gone was created by the same people who made Mystic River. As I read the story I thought about that movie because it's about a girl that is kidnapped and then found dead. It would be interesting to read this story, pretending that the girl in the water was Sean Penn's daughter in Mystic River.